Chuckreads

Monday, October 16, 2006

The God Of Small Things by Arundhati Roy



A beautifully written tragedy 8/10

This book is hard for me to summarize. I had heard very good things and it was a Booker Prize winner, I had very high expectations. When I started the book it was a bit confusing and I had a brief stirring of disappointment but then I realized how beautifully the story was being told, as I let go of trying to figure it all out and let the story unfold for itself at it's own pace, I began to really enjoy it. I can see why some readers gave up on it but I'm glad I didn't and I think it was well worth it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Chuck!

I gave this one a high score too, mainly because there were some absolutely beautiful passages, and the scene at the cinema was so well written I could see it all in my minds eye - and it made me gag. The only problem was, that to find the nuggets of beauty, we have to sift through an awful lot of densely written prose.

November 19, 2006  
Blogger chuck said...

Agreed, at first I was worried it may be too much but in the end I think it all came together nicely, I just wonder how many gave up before that.

November 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Online Colleges