Chuckreads

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

When We Were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro


Not as good as his others 6/10

I did not like this book as much as I liked the Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go, I did not feel interested in the story until I was nearing the end, I don't think I would have continued on had I not enjoyed his previous books I'd read.

I really didn't care for the main character, Christopher. at all (I don't think you were supposed to) seemed he wasn't as well liked by the other characters either but they more or less humored/tolerated him and he did not see it this way (there were hints at his mistaken perception of himself and his relatiionships with others) and so while I do think Ishiguro intended for the characters and story not to be liked in the traditional sense, I don't think that it worked for me and the whole thing dragged and slightly annoyed me.

2 Comments:

Blogger ell said...

Chuck, is the style of this one more similar to Remains of the Day or Never Let Me Go? I really loved Remains of the Day, but was somewhat disappointed in NLMG.

"When We Were Orphans" was the next one I was going to try by Ishiguro, but after your and others' comments, should I give it a pass or just get a library copy?

March 22, 2007  
Blogger chuck said...

It was quite different from both Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go, I would check it out from the library if you decide to give it a shot.

March 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Online Colleges